While this is indeed not true in all cases by any stretch of the imagination, recent discoveries and news articles do suggest that regardless of industry, the bigger a chain gets, the more greedy, immoral and far removed from the consumer it can become.
It's true that big national or international brands are able to offer certain pricing concessions and provide a certain level of convenience - but by shopping, eating or drinking independent and supporting your local businesses, there is so much to gain.
Not convinced? Here are seven rock-solid reasons to support your local businesses.
1. Character and charisma: A local independent is often unique and unshackled by corporate bosses telling it what to do and how to do it. As a result, a local business with its own unique products, services and presentation can add an extra element of character, charisma and charm to your local area.
2. Community: Locally-owned businesses are often owned by local residents that are very community-focused, helping out their fellow neighbours and looking to build a real sense of camaraderie. This mindset not only helps to make an area more vibrant, but it can also benefit a locale through local charity drives and initiatives.
3. Economy: Local businesses ultimately create more jobs and, in certain sectors, provide better wages and benefits than the competition chains do. An excellent reason to support your local independents if ever we heard one.
4. Public benefits: Local shops and businesses in town or village centres require little infrastructure and make far better use of public services compared to big stores and large chains.
5. Environment: More often than not, local businesses work to help maintain a clean, vibrant area that helps to reduce waste and provide more sustainable business practices that contribute to supporting environmental care.
6. Better bonds: By supporting your favourite local businesses you will quickly form positive relationships with the owners and employees, making your visits all the more valuable, worthwhile, fun, warm and welcoming as a result.
7. Knowledge: Most independent business owners will have niche knowledge about their local area and will be happy to share this with you. If you’re relatively new to an area, this level of knowledge and insight can prove invaluable.
So, there you have it: seven rock-solid reasons to shop, eat and drink local. If you’ve been inspired by this and you want to support some of the top local businesses near or even slightly further afield from you - for less - get yourself a Rockett Recommends VIP card - free of charge.