Landlords across Staffordshire are being urged to act now to ensure they are ready for new safety laws aimed at saving dozens of lives a year.
The regulations make it compulsory for all landlords to fit smoke alarms in rented homes and are expected to come into effect from October 2015.
Under the new laws smoke alarms must be fitted on every floor of the property as well as carbon monoxide alarms in properties which burn solid fuels. Landlords must check the alarms are working at the start of every new tenancy with potential penalties of up to £5,000 if they don’t comply.
To help landlords gear up for the new regulations the Government has provided Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service with a limited number of free smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to give out to relevant landlords.
The alarms will be given out at the following drop-in events which landlords are encouraged to come along to:
- Hanley Community Fire Station - Tuesday 7th July and 1st October
- Newcastle Community Fire Station – Monday 20th July
- Cannock Community fire Station –Tuesday 4th August and 1st October
- Wombourne Community Fire Station – Wednesday 12th August
- Stafford Fire Station– Monday 17th August
- Tamworth Belgrave Community Fire Station – Monday 24th August and 1st October
- Biddulph Community Fire Station– Tuesday 2nd September
- Sandyford Community fire Station – Wednesday 16th September
- Longton Community Fire Station – Friday 18th September
All events will take place from 11am until 1pm. There’s no need to book, just turn up any time between 11am and 1pm.
Landords can request smoke alarms by completing the Smoke Alarm Request Form